Monday, January 18, 2010

#8 abracadabra

abracadabra - a spoken formula, used especially by conjurors, an incantation of magical powers

- from Latin C17 - magical word used in certain Gnostic writings, related to Greek abraxas

I love the playful, rhythmical cadence of the word.

I heat up, I can't cool down
You got me spinnin'
'Round and 'round
'Round and 'round and 'round it goes
Where it stops nobody knows

Every time you call my name
I heat up like a burnin' flame
Burnin' flame full of desire
Kiss me baby, let the fire get higher

Abra-abra-cadabra
I want to reach out and grab ya
Abra-abra-cadabra
Abracadabra

You make me hot, you make me sigh
You make me laugh, you make me cry
Keep me burnin' for your love
With the touch of a velvet glove...
~ song Abracadabra, Steve Miller Band

Tags: word of the day, best words, etymology, spelling, vital, useful, expressive, emotional, strategic, onomatopoeic, connotation, how to, English usage, language, learning, mnemonic devices, vocabulary, quoteflections,